Last updated: 3rd August 2018
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE
What’s is in these terms?
These terms tell you the rules (terms and conditions) for using the website www.tennysonchambers.com (“the site”).
Who we are and how to contact us.
The site is owned and operated by Susan Brown whether by her servants or agents. Susan Brown is a sole trader.
Susan Brown is the owner of the registered trademark “Tennyson Chambers” which she uses to market her barristers chambers. References to Tennyson Chambers on the site are references to the barristers Chambers of Susan Brown, whose office is at Ocean Village Innovation Centre, 4 Ocean Way, Southampton, SO14 3JZ. References to “we” in these terms and conditions are a reference to Susan Brown and these terms and conditions should be read accordingly.
Susan Brown is a registered barrister with the Bar Standards Board of the United Kingdom and is regulated by The Bar Standards Board.
By using the site you accept these terms.
By using the site, you confirm that you accept these terms and conditions of use and that you agree to comply with them.
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use the site.
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
There are other terms that may apply to you.
These terms and conditions of use refer to the following additional terms, which also apply to your use of the site:
Unless otherwise agreed in writing if you are an authorised person and you instruct any registered barrister in the Chambers of Susan Brown, our terms of business (the Standard Conditions of Contract for the Supply of Legal Services by Barristers to Authorised Persons 2012 as published by the General Council of the Bar will apply. If you are not an authorised person and are using the public access scheme or direct access scheme to instruct a registered barrister in the Chambers of Susan Brown then please refer to your client care letter from your chosen barrister for the terms and conditions of business upon which your chosen barrister will accept and supply legal services to you.
We may make changes to these terms.
We amend these terms and conditions for the site from time to time. Every time you wish to use the site, please check these terms and conditions to ensure that you understand the terms and conditions that apply at that time including the time that you use the site. These terms were most recently updated on 13th December 2017.
We may make changes to the site.
We may update and change the site from time to time to reflect changes to the legal services provided by the members of the Chambers of Susan Brown and the site users’ needs and the business priorities of the members of the Chambers of Susan Brown.
We may suspend or withdraw the site.
The site is made available free of charge to visitors.
We do not guarantee that the site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of the site for business and operational reasons.
How you may use material on the site.
Susan Brown is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from the site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on the site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Susan Brown’s status (and that of any identified contributors) as the author of content on the site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on the site for commercial purposes without obtaining a written licence to do so from Susan Brown or her licensors.
Do not rely on information in this site.
The content on the site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to any form of advice upon which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist legal advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on the site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on the site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on the site is accurate, complete or up to date.
We are not responsible for the websites we link to.
Where the site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources. These other sites and resources have not been verified or approved by Susan Brown.
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you.
Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by any negligence of the registered barristers of Tennyson Chambers and for any fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any legal services to you, which will be set out in the Terms of Business. See above our terms of business. As set out above unless otherwise agreed in writing if you are an authorised person and you instruct any registered barrister in the Chambers of Susan Brown, our terms of business (the Standard Conditions of Contract for the Supply of Legal Services by Barristers to Authorised Persons 2012 as published by the General Council of the Bar) will apply. If you are not an authorised person and are using the public access scheme or direct access scheme to instruct a registered barrister in the Chambers of Susan Brown then please refer to your client care letter from your chosen barrister for the terms and conditions of business upon which your chosen barrister will accept and supply legal services to you.
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to the site or any content on it.
- To the extent permitted by applicable laws, Susan Brown (nor any member(s), servant(s) or agents of Tennyson Chambers), will not be liable for any losses, damages or expenses of any kind, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on the site.
- In particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide the site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Uploading content to the site.
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to the site (Contributions), you must comply with the following content standards. Contributions must:
- Be accurate (where they state facts).
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person.
- Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful, harassing, victimising, discriminatory or inflammatory.
- Promote whether directly or indirectly sexually explicit material or contain any sexual content.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins), sex (which covers both men and women), pregnancy and maternity (anyone who is pregnant or taking maternity leave to look after a child) religion or beliefs ( including philosophical belief), nationality, disability ( whether having physical or mental impairment), marriage and civil partnership sexual orientation, gender reassignment or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any form of illegal activity or be part of any illegal activity.
- Be threatening, abusive or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to any other person, company or organisation.
- Be likely to harass, victimise, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person, company or organisation.
- Be used to impersonate any person, company or any other legal entity, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they emanate from Susan Brown or any member of her chambers , if this is not so .
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) fraud, copyright infringement or computer misuse.
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to Susan Brown and members of her chambers and indemnify Susan Brown and members of her chambers for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage Susan Brown or any member of her chambers suffers as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to the site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant Susan Brown and the members, servants or agents of Tennyson Chambers a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to the site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy. We also have the right to disclose your identity and content to any third party or regulatory authority where the law requires us to do so.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on the site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out above.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them.
We do not guarantee that the site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access the site. You should use your own virus protection software.
You must not misuse the site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the site, the server on which the site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the site. You must not attack the site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use the site will cease immediately.
User-generated content is not approved by us.
The site may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on the site do not represent our views or values.
Rules about linking to the site.
You may link to our home page where we give our written consent to do so , provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to the site in any website that is not owned by you.
The site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of the site other than the home page.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
If you wish to link to or make any use of content on the site other than that set out above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If any dispute arises in connection with these terms or the use of the site, we both agree to enter into mediation in good faith to settle such a dispute and will do so in accordance with the United Kingdom Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) Model Mediation Procedure. Unless otherwise agreed between us within 14 days of notice of the dispute, the mediator will be nominated by CEDR.
Which country’s laws apply to any disputes?
If you are a consumer, please note that these terms and conditions of use, their subject matter and their formation, are solely governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction to determine any dispute which arises in respect of these terms and conditions.
If you are a business, these terms and conditions of use, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Our trademarks are registered.
“Tennyson Chambers” is a UK registered trade mark of Susan Brown. You are not permitted to use the trade mark without Susan Brown’s written approval,
For more information about our members and services please contact us.
Our telephone number in Southampton United Kingdom is +44 (0) 2381 511511.
For clients wishing to have a conference in London United Kingdom then please dial the London UK appointments number of +44 (0)203 407 0047.
Alternatively, you may email email@example.com.